Friday, March 13, 2015

It's Been Both DNF and CNF For Me Lately


Nellie Olsen is flabbergasted that I can't seem to finish this book.


Winter is nearly over, Spring has almost sprung,  and I just now finished my first book of the year.  I have been mired down in David Copperfield and Doctor Zhivago since before Christmas.  For a person who loves checking completions off a list, this has been a trying few months.  I am truly beginning to believe I will never finish David Copperfield.  I've been in the 930s of 990 pages for days.  Every time I open the book, I feel like I'm starring in my own personal Groundhog Day.

In January, I tried to break up the toiling with The Sun Also Rises, which I hated and abandoned.  So that went well.  I have decided I have a serious Hemingway issue, which I am ignoring for now.

In February,  I listened to Krista Tippett's interview of Mary Oliver (an On Being podcast:  it was fantastic, and I can't recommend it enough), and I decided after listening to Mary Oliver basically say she sucked at poetry when she first tried it that it was now or never for me, so I'm now spending more time writing.  I started a WordPress blog for my poetry to keep it separate from my book blog.  That address is www.sadiebellewrites.wordpress.com for anyone interested.  Please don't steal my poems.  Obviously, I can't really stop you, but seriously?  Why would anyone except a Dementor want to steal my memories and emotions? 

This week, I read An Invisible Thread by Laura Schroff and Alex Tresniowski.  I love the idea of the book, the idea that one small thoughtless act can save a life, but I didn't love the voice of the narrator. Because of the structure of the book, she often came across as self-congratulatory and redundant.  If  Maurice had been a co-narrator instead of everything being told through Laura's voice, I think this issue could have been avoided.  The writing seemed simplistic and predictable, but that could be because everything does now that I've spent months with Dickens and Pasternak.

On another note, a blogger I follow recently published a list of the books Rory Gilmore read on The Gilmore Girls.  As I love Rory Gilmore, and I love a book list, I promptly printed off this list to add to the other 10,000 lists on the side of my fridge.  I noticed several books by Nick Hornby on the list.  I have never read Nick Hornby.  Any recommendations on where I should start? 

7 comments:

Care said...

I've never read any Hornby, either but I have a few on my goodreads tbr. I want to read his Polysyllabic Spree - which is nonfiction I think. Perhaps About a Boy - I loved the movie.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I love Nick Hornsby on books, collections of his columns from The Believer, like The Polysyllabic Spree. His fiction, not so much.

Here's my Sunday Salon!

thecuecard said...

I have faith in your Copperfield and Zhivago quest. You've inspired me to read them too someday. Good idea about your poems site, best wishes on that. As for Nick Hornby my favorite book of his was his first book: High Fidelity. Great fun. He loves lists too, included in his novel: his Top 10 breakups of all time! enjoy

Care said...

Yes, the cat does not seem impressed with your efforts.

wellwell2 said...

Years ago I had a Hemingway problem, but then had to teach it. Was able to get my head around it a little more. But that too was many years ago. Is he even mentioned much any more? Seems Fitzgerald has kind of taken over that period.Much more accessible.
I have Nick Hornby sitting nearly next to me. Bought a book a year ago and haven't touched it. Maybe this will prompt me to open it.

Vintage Reading said...

Nellie Olsen, indeed! Very cute. High Fidelity is my favourite Nick Hornby. Reading Hard Times at uni put me off Dickens for life!

Amy said...

Thanks, Care and Deb. Will definitely keep that in mind when I get around to Hornby.

Susan: High Fidelity is probably the one I've heard the most about. If you do tackle Copperfield or Zhivago, just be patient with yourself!

Barbara: I think I may finally just give up on Hemingway. Giving up is very hard for me. I'm persistent if nothing else. Maybe you and I can tackle Hornby together some day.

Vintage Reading: Nellie Olsen is so named because she is SUCH a demanding whiner! And I love some Dickens, abandon some Dickens, and don't even attempt some Dickens.

A Kind of Healing

  "...to live the slow quiet rhythm of a day as a kind of healing" Several years ago, I discovered May Sarton’s journals. What a b...