Friday, December 10, 2021

Sweet Irony

 


"Everyone knows the profit to be reaped from the useful,
but nobody knows the benefit to be gained from the useless."



When I first began reading Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead by Olga Tokarczuk, I admit, I was not in the best frame of mind. Between the end of Daylight Savings Time and Winter Solstice, I struggle to console myself even for my own existence, so naturally, I'd choose a book with that kind of title as a pick-me-up.


For much of the first part of the book, I read with one eye on the page. It just wasn't catching me. I couldn't decide if I even liked the narrator. I found her slippery and not easily pegged. Don't we all like easily pegged? We don't have to think. I get impatient with astrologists, and she is definitely into astrology, so at first, I was dismissing her often based on my own bias. 


By page 200, I read raptly, with no breaks.


If I've learned anything in my life, it is that keeping an open mind should always be my go-to. While I still don't believe in astrology, I do believe in many of the ideas this narrator espouses. 


I love that she assigns descriptive nicknames to humans in lieu of  given names for most people. I find it interesting that she (or I guess the author) capitalizes the word Animal and the Types of Animals, but not of plants. Do I know for sure this is consistent? No, but I did often notice it. So she herself is making the kinds of distinctions she asserts we have no right to make.


I can't say much about the plot without spoilers. People die. Animals die. The point is that all killing is wrong. Is it?


Our narrator is far from perfect. She's neither always right nor always wrong. In her choices and in her actions, she embodies the imperfect hypocrisy she so rightly disdains. 







No comments:

A Kind of Healing

  "...to live the slow quiet rhythm of a day as a kind of healing" Several years ago, I discovered May Sarton’s journals. What a b...