Thursday, October 17, 2013

We All Need Healthy Attachments

Attachments to my kitchen houseplant
"I pictured a girl who could be that kind and that kind of funny.  I pictured a girl who was that alive...a girl who never got tired of her favorite movies...who saved dresses like ticket stubs--who could get high on the weather...I pictured a girl who made every moment, everything she touched, and everyone around her feel lighter and sweeter." from Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

I started last week kind of down, aimless, purposeless.  Hell, who am I kidding...I start every day like that.  You know,  life--what's it about?  What's the point?  Existential angst ad nauseam.  So what does one do at that kind of nadir?  Go to the bookstore, of course.  And at the bookstore, I looked for Attachments by Rainbow Rowell after having read a book blog review wherein the author said something like "Go find this book.  Now."  Oh my lord I loved this book.  The people!  The dialogue!  The structure!

The two women friends sound exactly like my best friend and me when we talk.  Smart, funny, realistic, but wanting to be hopelessly romantic, hoping against hope, blah blah blah.  I'm so thankful to have this kind of friendship in my life, cause Lord knows I have no luck having any kind of long-term, fulfilling love interest.  I'm always a sucker for a happy romantic ending.  It's so encouraging to imagine that as a possibility, even if it's just in a book.  It's nice, on occasion, to read about love in all its potential, unrealistic glory.  Attachments was perfect for me last week.  So much so that I need another similar dose.  Now, where to find it...

No comments:

A Kind of Healing

  "...to live the slow quiet rhythm of a day as a kind of healing" Several years ago, I discovered May Sarton’s journals. What a b...